August 14 Meeting

Here is the information people sent by e-mail.  Please let me know if you have anything additional to add.

I have started the Castle of the Flynns book. I didn't think I was going to like it, but it's growing on me and I think I'll finish it.

I've also started reading London by Edward Rutherford (a gigantic book that could take me the rest of the year to read!) and I checked out one of the "Castle" books--like the TV show--just to see what they are like. I'm not crazy about the TV show but I thought the books might be better. The London book is really interesting--I think it's the entire history of the city of London, way back to the Druids or whoever those people were. He also has one titled Dublin that I want to read next.

I decided the newest Dan Brown book, Inferno, is boring. I have been reading it all month and every time I read it, it puts me to sleep. His other books I would finish in 2 or 3 sittings.

Finished some “cheap” paperbacks, but I don’t remember author names.

Just finished Lady Justice .  Book is written in first person from the viewpoint of a petite woman (Ann Kelly)who is the new Attorney General of the US serving for the first black president (Jefferson Monroe—interesting name for the president).  A very prominent black US Senator (Samuel Claiborne) is murdered in his home a few hours after having a small gathering of friends at his home (including the AG) and black churches are being burned to the ground throughout the south.  The story follows her as the department of Justice, FBI, CIA etc. work together to try to solve the murder of the Senator and find out who is behind the church arsons and if they are connected.

Also finished Sea of Suspicion.  About a detective that is still grieving over the drowning at sea death of his ex-wife and trying to prove that one of her co-workers/boss/lover at the research university where she worked killed her.  He needs solid proof because she left him for this person.  A female grad student from the department ends up dead a few years later and the detective is involved in finding her killer, hoping to find the proof he needs to send the guy to jail at least for this murder even if he can’t prove his ex-wife’s.

Galileo about a sniper that seems to be killing at random & the FBI profiler and group that try to stop him.

I also read another, but the name eludes me.  Possibly Death from above.  About a mountain climber (Nick) that is running from the hit men that the mob boss of his now deceased best friend (Patrick) hired to kill him.  The dad believes that Nick is responsible for Patrick’s death because the son died falling off a mountain when they were climbing together.  This one took some strange twists and I don’t think I fully understood how some parts were linked.  I felt like I missed something, but I was reading it in the middle of the night when I was up with the baby, so I may have read the words but not absorbed their meaning for a few pages here & there…  Hard to say.

I am enjoying In the Castle of the Flynns.  I am almost finished.

I'm currently reading the first book in the fantasy series Artemis Fowl by Eoin Cohler with my daughter. Interesting characters, and she's learning quite a few new words.

I just re-read The Kitchen God's Wife, my favorite Amy Tan book, while waiting for the November release of her The Valley of Amazement. Since Tan sadly has continuing complications from Lyme disease, she doesn't release a new adult book very often.

Our next meeting is September 11.  Hope to see you there!

Comments