August Virtual Meeting


My neighbor’s book is headed to the publisher…the first proof has been printed. 

                Title:                      Lives for Hire

Author:                 Brianna Bunn

Publisher:            Clear Fork Publishing

Just finished reading cases 1-6 of the Jake Caliber/Caliber Detective Agency series…I still haven’t decided what to think of it.  It takes place at two different time periods.  There is the back story of how the Caliber detective Agency was started back in 1800’s by Jake Caliber and what it taking place in modern day for the agency with Jake the 3rd and Jake the 5th as Grandfather/Grandson leading the company (Jake the 4th was killed).  It flips back and forth but isn’t confusing, but it is almost like a series of short stories only I don’t think they would hold their own separately.
 
Currently reading Secret Admirer but halfway through and still having trouble getting enthused about it…just OK.

I haven’t read anything new, but after a brief visit with someone on the airplane home from New York (because they were so engrossed in the book), I have this book on my reading list:
Brian Kilmeade:  George Washington’s Secret Six.  It is about the alleged spy ring that saved the American Revolution.
Apparently the author is a little ‘edgy’… but I am still interested in reading it.
 
 
I’ve been trying to read some Stephen King stories and novels. I’ve never been a big fan, but I’m reading them with a different perspective. I’m just reading them with an eye to his writing and storytelling style and trying not to get distracted by the gore.  I read his book On Writing and now I can appreciate more what he has accomplished.  There is really a lot of humor in his books, too, which I hadn’t seen before.

Find You in the Dark (2012) and Light in the Shadows (2013) by A. Meredith Walters. The author's experience as a counselor working with abused and troubled children and teens shines through in this two-book series about young, obsessive love and mental illness. Although dark and emotionally difficult to read, Maggie and Clay's story is interesting and thought-provoking. I like the fact that there are no easy answers, and the "solution" to mental illness isn't magically meeting The One any more than the road to happiness is finding The One, earning more money, or whatever goal you think you want to reach. Books must be read together and in order.

Breath of Life by Christine Pope (2011). While the first book in the Gaian Consortium Series, this is a short, stand-alone read. This is basically a decent retelling of Beauty and the Beast in a futuristic, harsh setting.

Forever My Lady by Jeff Rivera (2013). Despite the romantic title, this is really the story of a troubled teen who is sent to a prison boot camp. Can he find a life outside of the gang lifestyle? Will his girlfriend be a part of that life?


Comments